5 Easy Tips for Faster Fat Loss
Losing body fat isn't as complicated as it looks or is often made out to be. You don't have to buy fat burning pills or to spend your life on the treadmill to get lean. Most often, just a few tweaks to your daily routine will kickstart noticeable results. Here are my top five tips to accelerate fat loss in a safe and natural manner.
1. DRINK MORE WATER. Quite often, we think we're hungry but we're actually not- we're dehydrated! Before you succumb to snacking, drink a glass of water and see if that helps to curb your cravings. In total, aim to drink at least 2L of water daily.
2. GET ADEQUATE SLEEP. Studies show that getting 7-8 hours of quality sleep every night is optimal for body and brain function. Sleep is also linked to natrual growth hormone production (which helps us burn fat and build muscle) and also reduces cortisol (our stress hormone) which is largely responsible for the storage of belly-fat. Studies show that people who get good sleep are less likely to overeat, have healthier BMIs, and experience less food cravings than those who don't get the recommended amount of sleep.
3. EAT (A HIGH-QUALITY) BREAKFAST. We've all heard that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" (thanks, Mom) but it's actually 100% TRUE! People who eat breakfast on the daily generally have lower body fat percentages than people who don't. Try to avoid high carb breakfasts (pancakes/waffles and syrup, sugary cereals, bread, pastries, etc.,) and opt for a breakfast that includes quality protein, fibre and healthy fats instead. Things like egg whites, whole eggs, veggie omelettes, breakfast smoothies, whole grain oats, nuts and seeds, meat, dark berries, and avocado are all great breakfast options. Not only do healthy fats and proteins in the morning help keep us satiated for longer, they also help keep our insulin levels steady which further helps prevent cravings during the day.
4. SWAP OUT SUGAR. Instead of putting honey or sugar in your daily coffee or tea or drinking regular sodas or energy drinks, try switching to stevia, zero calorie sweetener (like Splenda), or sugar-free sodas/energy drinks instead. A little sugar here or there might not seem like much, but it can sneakily add up!
5. TAKE OMEGA 3S. Aim to get about 1000-1500mg of Omega 3s every day. Omega 3s are excellent for improving cognitive function and reducing inflammation. You can buy Omega 3s in pretty much any supplement or drug store in capsules or liquid form. Studies show that getting adequate Omega3s can help reduce body fat stores.